Traineeships are a great way of working with young people to prepare them for the future; it also allows employers to look at the potential of young people as employees for the business building talent for the future. A traineeship is a stepping stone into Apprenticeships / full time work.
Traineeships help to develop young people who are not ‘quite ready’ to go straight into a job or apprenticeship, the programme will develop various skills including English, Maths, communication and interpersonal skills. Employers can help by providing valuable work experience placement and interview during the traineeship.
Traineeships are funded by the government and can last for 2 – 6 months.
Commitment from employer
- Pre-agreed content of the programme e.g. qualification / delivery
- Work experience should be long enough – 4-6 weeks (part time) for the young person to develop their skills
- A structured opportunity for the young person, where they engage in purposeful learning activities (not just observing) with the support of a mentor in the business who will provide constructive feedback
- While there is no requirement for the employer to pay the young person during the work experience, we do encourage them to support the trainees with travel and meals
On completion of the work experience, you will be required to offer:
- Ideally, a position within your business if one is available (apprenticeship / permanent job role)
- If no opportunity exists within the company, provide an exit interview together with a reference to help them secure an apprenticeship or employment with another employer
Benefits for the Trainee
- Will put you in a better position to compete for an apprenticeship or other job role
- Opportunities to develop your skills and get vital work experience to add to your CV
- Improve your English and Maths to boost your chances of getting a job
- Achieving a recognised qualification at the same time as doing valuable work experience with an employer
- At the end of the programme the employer will either offer a position within the company or provide an exit interview and reference if a position is not available